- Environmental Flows Calculator for Western Nepal – Nishadi Eriyagama , Luna Bharati, Ram Devi Tachamo Shah, Akriti Sharma, Subodh Sharma
- Development Pathways and Tradeoff Analysis: Hydro-economic Model Outputs – Emily Pakhtigian, Marc Jeuland
- Sustainable, Just And Productive Water Resources Development In Western Nepal Under Current And Future Conditions (Digo Jal Bikas, Djb)
- River basin planning in the context of federalism: Towards new approaches and alternative pathways – Diana Suhardiman and Emma Karki
- Leaving no one behind Gender Equity and Social Justice
- Translating Water Management And Governance At Local Level Through Techno-Social Inteventions – Bhesh Raj Thapa, Emma Karki
- Climate & Water System Modeling Tools for Western Nepal – Vishnu Pandey, Sanita Dhaubanjar, Luna Bharati, Bhesh Raj Thapa
- Reflections from Local Visions for the Future – Emma Karki , Bhesh Raj Thapa
- Visions for development of rivers in Western Nepal – Emily Pakhtigian, Marc Jeuland, Luna Bharati, Vishnu Pandey
- Digo Jal Bikas (DJB) – Dr. Luna Bharati
- Featured during the 8th Asian Regional Conference on Irrigation and Drainage in Kathmandu, Nepal:
- Comparative assessment of various water application methods for improving water productivity during dry season agriculture – Bhesh Thapa
- Projected climate future for Western Nepal – Sanita Dhaubanjar
- Gender Differences in water security and capabilities in Far-West Nepal – Gitta Shrestha
- Digo Jal Bikas – Dr. Luna Bharati
- Dealing with variations in access to water: an assessment of challenges and coping strategies in Far-western Nepal – Ram Bastakoti
Presentations from DJB’s Trade-Off Arena Workshop and other occasions:
- Introduction to DJB Project
- Basin-Scale Development Scenarios
- Hydro-economic modeling for more efficient water resources management (Aug 2017)
- Modeling Status Update – Review of Data and Documents (Aug 2017)
- Climate Change and Hydrology of a Snow-fed Watershed in Western Nepal (Dec 2017)
- Climate Futures for Western Nepal (April 2018)
- What about the future? Planning for uncertainty and risk (June 2018)
- Ecosystem Services and Hydropower Development: Diverse voices forming localized opinions (Oct 2018)
Hydroeconomic modelling of water use trade-offs in Western Nepal
Digo Jal Bikas Project – Environmental Flow Calculator
USAID’s Digo Jal Bikas Program – Publication List
Toward an Inclusive Vision of Water Resources Development in Western Nepal
Sustainable, Just, and Productive Water Resources Development in Western Nepal
Sustainable, Just & Productive Water Resources Development in Western Nepal Under Current & Future Conditions (Digo Jal Bikas – Djb)
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles:
- Pakhtigian, E. L., & Jeuland, M. (2019). Valuing the Environmental Costs of Local Development: Evidence From Households in Western Nepal. Ecological Economics, 158, 158-167.
- Pandey V.P., Dhaubanjar S., Bharati L., Thapa B.R. (2018). Hydrologic response of Chamelia Watershed in Mahakali Basin to climate change. Science of the Total Environment, 650 (Part 1): 365-383.
- Paul L.G. Vlek, Asia Khamzina, Hossein Azadi, Anik Bhaduri, Luna Bharati, Ademola Braimoh, Christopher Martius, Terry Sunderland and Fatemeh Taheri (2017). Trade-offs in multi-purpose land use under land degradation. Sustainability 9 (12), 2196.
- Suhardiman, Bastakoti R., Karki E., Bharati L. (2018).The politics of river basin planning and state transformationprocesses in Nepal. Geoforum, 96: 70-76.
- Pandey V.P., Dhaubanjar S., Bharati L. (2017). Sustainable irrigation development: Knowledge generation for Karnali-Mohana River Basin. In: Proceedings of 10thNational Irrigation Seminar: Climate Smart Innovation for the sustainable irrigation development, June 1-2, 2017, Nagarkot, pp:39-50.
- Pandey V.P., Dhaubanjar S., Bharati L., Thapa B.R. (2018) Climate Change and Water Availability in Western Nepal. In: Proceedings of National Seminar on Nature for Water. 28 Mar 2018. Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), Mahendranagar, Nepal. pp 8-19.
- Shrestha G., Clement F. (2018). Gender differences in water security and capabilities in Far-West Nepal. In: Proceedings of 8th Regional Conference of International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (8ARC), 2-4 May, 2018, Kathmandu, Nepal. pp. 83-99.
- Tachamo Shah R.D., Sharma S., Mullner K., Bharati L. (2018). River health assessment for sustainable water resources management in Western Nepal. In: Proceedings of 8th Regional Conference of International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (8ARC), 2-4 May, 2018, Kathmandu, Nepal. pp. 571-578.
Blogs and Op-Eds
- Clement F., Corey O.H. (2018). It’s A Rocky Road To Power For Rural Women. NPR, Goats and Clement F., Corey O.H. (2018). It’s A Rocky Road To Power For Rural Women. NPR, Goats and Soda, 8TH March, 2018.
- Dhaubanjar S., Drown P, Bharati L. (2018). Over and under the pond? The Kathmandu Post, 23RD March, 2018.
- Dhaubanjar S., Drown P, Karki E. (2017). What’s a river worth? The Kathmandu Post, 15TH December, 2017.
- Drown P., Shrestha G. (2018). Why we need to discuss masculinity in the water sector. Thrive, CGIAR, 26THJune, 2018. Available online at:
- Karki E., Suhardiman D., Drown P., Swingle C. (2018). The importance of local voices in Nepal’s hydropower projects. The Thirdpole, Wednesday, 8THAugust, 2018.
- McCartney M., Dickens C., Bharati L., Nicol A. (2018). Water Crises are hitting our economies: Time to hit back with natural infrastructure. Thomas Reuters Foundation News. 21ST February 2018.
- Sharma A., Claire S. (2018). Balancing people and energy in the Karnali Basin. The Thirdpole, 20THAugust, 2018.
- Shrestha G. (2018). Should we still focus on woman farmers? The Kathmandu Post, 16TH March, 2018.
- Shrestha G. Clement F., Drown P. (2018). Unacknowledged Irrigations. The Kathmandu Post, 8TH February, 2018.
- Suhardiman D. (2017). River basin planning: An imaginary bureaucratic territory. Blog. Sustainable Water Future Programme.
- Suhardiman D. (2019). Nepal and socially just hydropower. Asia Times, 22ndFebruary, 2019.
This questionnaire was designed to carry out a large scale basin-wide socio-economic survey as a part of Digo Jal Bikas (DJB) project.
- Digo Jal Bikas (Djb) Project: Context, Approach And Learnings
Authors: Luna Bharati, Vishnu Pandey, Sanita Dhaubanjar, Emma Karki
- Dealing With Variable Access To Water: An Assessment Of Challenges And Coping Strategies In Far-Western Nepal
Ram Bastakoti, Emma Karki, Bhesh Raj Thapa1, and Vishnu Prasad Pandey
- Western Nepal Environmental Flow Calculator (Wenefc)
Nishadi Eriyagama, Ram Devi Tachamo Shah, Akriti Sharma And Luna Bharati
- What Does The Future Climate Look Like In Western Nepal?
Sanita Dhaubanjar, Vishnu Prasad Pandey and Luna Bharati
- Hydro-Econimic Moeling of Water Use Trade-Offs in Western Nepal
Marc Jeuland and Emily Pakhtigian
- Environmental Flows for Balancing River Health and Aquatic Bioversity in the Himalaya
Ram Devi Tachamo Shah, Subodh Sharma and Luna Bharati
- Unpacking Local Communities’ Different Views On Hydropower Development
- Hydrological Model For Water Availability Assessment In The Karnali_Mohana Basin
Vishnu Pandey, Sanita Dhaubanjar, Luna Bharati And Bhesh Raj Thapa
- Improving Water Management Locally Through Inclusive And Integrated Approaches That Address Socio-Agro-Ecological Diversity
Emma Karki And Bhesh Raj Thapa, Iwmi Nepal
- Unravelling Gendered Practices In Nepal’s Public Water Sector In Nepal
Gitta Shrestha And Floriane Clement
- Gender, Social Capital And Collective Action: A Gender Perspective On Collective Sustainability Of Water Resource Governance In Far West Nepal
Gitta Shrestha And Floriane Clement