- Environmental Flows Calculator for Western Nepal – Nishadi Eriyagama , Luna Bharati, Ram Devi Tachamo Shah, Akriti Sharma, Subodh Sharma
- Development Pathways and Tradeoff Analysis: Hydro-economic Model Outputs – Emily Pakhtigian, Marc Jeuland
- Sustainable, Just And Productive Water Resources Development In Western Nepal Under Current And Future Conditions (Digo Jal Bikas, Djb)
- River basin planning in the context of federalism: Towards new approaches and alternative pathways – Diana Suhardiman and Emma Karki
- Leaving no one behind Gender Equity and Social Justice
- Translating Water Management And Governance At Local Level Through Techno-Social Inteventions – Bhesh Raj Thapa, Emma Karki
- Climate & Water System Modeling Tools for Western Nepal – Vishnu Pandey, Sanita Dhaubanjar, Luna Bharati, Bhesh Raj Thapa
- Reflections from Local Visions for the Future – Emma Karki , Bhesh Raj Thapa
- Visions for development of rivers in Western Nepal – Emily Pakhtigian, Marc Jeuland, Luna Bharati, Vishnu Pandey
- Digo Jal Bikas (DJB) – Dr. Luna Bharati
- Featured during the 8th Asian Regional Conference on Irrigation and Drainage in Kathmandu, Nepal:
- Comparative assessment of various water application methods for improving water productivity during dry season agriculture – Bhesh Thapa
- Projected climate future for Western Nepal – Sanita Dhaubanjar
- Gender Differences in water security and capabilities in Far-West Nepal – Gitta Shrestha
- Digo Jal Bikas – Dr. Luna Bharati
- Dealing with variations in access to water: an assessment of challenges and coping strategies in Far-western Nepal – Ram Bastakoti
Presentations from DJB’s Trade-Off Arena Workshop and other occasions:
- Introduction to DJB Project
- Basin-Scale Development Scenarios
- Hydro-economic modeling for more efficient water resources management (Aug 2017)
- Modeling Status Update – Review of Data and Documents (Aug 2017)
- Climate Change and Hydrology of a Snow-fed Watershed in Western Nepal (Dec 2017)
- Climate Futures for Western Nepal (April 2018)
- What about the future? Planning for uncertainty and risk (June 2018)
- Ecosystem Services and Hydropower Development: Diverse voices forming localized opinions (Oct 2018)
Hydroeconomic modelling of water use trade-offs in Western Nepal
Digo Jal Bikas Project – Environmental Flow Calculator
USAID’s Digo Jal Bikas Program – Publication List
Toward an Inclusive Vision of Water Resources Development in Western Nepal
Sustainable, Just, and Productive Water Resources Development in Western Nepal
Sustainable, Just & Productive Water Resources Development in Western Nepal Under Current & Future Conditions (Digo Jal Bikas – Djb)
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles:
- Pandey V.P., Sharma A., Dhaubanjar S., Bharati L., Joshi, I.R. (2019). Climate shocks and responses to Karnali-Mahakali basins in Western Nepal. Climate, 7, 92.
- Pandey V.P., Dhaubanjar S., Bharati L., Thapa B.R. (2019). Hydrologic response of Chamelia Watershed in Mahakali Basin to climate change. Science of the Total Environment, 650 (Part 1): 365-383.
- Dhaubanjar S., Pandey V.P., Bharati L (2019). Climate Futures for Western Nepal based on Regional Climate Models in the CORDEX-SA. International Journal of Climatology.
- Pakhtigian E.L., Jeuland M., Dhaubnjar S., Pandey V.P. (2019). Balancing intersectoral demand in basin-scale planning: The case of Nepal’s western river basins. Water Resources Economics. In Press.
- Pakhtigian E.L., Jeuland M., Bharati L., Pandey V.P. (2019). The Role of Hydropower in Visions for Water Resources Development for the Rivers of Western Nepal. International Journal of Water Resources Development.
- Pakhtigian, E. L., & Jeuland, M. (2019). Valuing the Environmental Costs of Local Development: Evidence From Households in Western Nepal. Ecological Economics, 158, 158-167.
- Paul L.G. Vlek, Asia Khamzina, Hossein Azadi, Anik Bhaduri, Luna Bharati, Ademola Braimoh, Christopher Martius, Terry Sunderland and Fatemeh Taheri (2017). Trade-offs in multi-purpose land use under land degradation. Sustainability 9 (12), 2196.
- Tachamo Shah R.D., Sharma S., Bharati L. (2019). Water diversion induced changes in aquatic biodiversity in monsoon-dominated rivers of Western Himalaya, Nepal: Implications for Environmental flows. Ecological Indicators, 108: 105735.
- Shrestha G., Clement F. (2019). Unravelling gendered practices in the public water sector in Nepal. Water Policy, 21(5): 1017-1033.
- Suhardiman D., Karki E. (2019) Spatial Politics and Local Alliances Shaping Nepal Hydropower. World Development, 122: 525-536.
- Khatiwada K.R., Pandey V.P. (2019). Characterization of hydro-meteorological drought in Nepal Himalaya: A case of Karnali River Basin. Weather and Climate Extremes. In Press.
- Bhandari B. Tachamo Shah R.D., Sharma S. (2018). Status, distribution and habitat specificity of benthic macro-invertebrates: a case study in five tributaries of Budhiganga river in Western Nepal. Journal of Institute of Science and Technology, 23 (1): 69-75.
- Suhardiman, Bastakoti R., Karki E., Bharati L. (2018).The politics of river basin planning and state transformationprocesses in Nepal. Geoforum, 96: 70-76.
- Pandey V.P., Dhaubanjar S., Bharati L. (2017). Sustainable irrigation development: Knowledge generation for Karnali-Mohana River Basin. In: Proceedings of 10thNational Irrigation Seminar: Climate Smart Innovation for the sustainable irrigation development, June 1-2, 2017, Nagarkot, pp:39-50.
- Pandey V.P., Dhaubanjar S., Bharati L., Thapa B.R. (2018) Climate Change and Water Availability in Western Nepal. In: Proceedings of National Seminar on Nature for Water. 28 Mar 2018. Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), Mahendranagar, Nepal. pp 8-19.
- Shrestha G., Clement F. (2018). Gender differences in water security and capabilities in Far-West Nepal. In: Proceedings of 8th Regional Conference of International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (8ARC), 2-4 May, 2018, Kathmandu, Nepal. pp. 83-99.
- Tachamo Shah R.D., Sharma S., Mullner K., Bharati L. (2018). River health assessment for sustainable water resources management in Western Nepal. In: Proceedings of 8th Regional Conference of International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (8ARC), 2-4 May, 2018, Kathmandu, Nepal. pp. 571-578.
Blogs and Op-Eds
- Clement F., Corey O.H. (2018). It’s A Rocky Road To Power For Rural Women. NPR, Goats and Clement F., Corey O.H. (2018). It’s A Rocky Road To Power For Rural Women. NPR, Goats and Soda, 8TH March, 2018.
- Dhaubanjar S., Drown P, Bharati L. (2018). Over and under the pond? The Kathmandu Post, 23RD March, 2018.
- Dhaubanjar S., Drown P, Karki E. (2017). What’s a river worth? The Kathmandu Post, 15TH December, 2017.
- Drown P., Shrestha G. (2018). Why we need to discuss masculinity in the water sector. Thrive, CGIAR, 26THJune, 2018. Available online at:
- Karki E., Suhardiman D., Drown P., Swingle C. (2018). The importance of local voices in Nepal’s hydropower projects. The Thirdpole, Wednesday, 8THAugust, 2018.
- McCartney M., Dickens C., Bharati L., Nicol A. (2018). Water Crises are hitting our economies: Time to hit back with natural infrastructure. Thomas Reuters Foundation News. 21ST February 2018.
- Sharma A., Claire S. (2018). Balancing people and energy in the Karnali Basin. The Thirdpole, 20THAugust, 2018.
- Shrestha G. (2018). Should we still focus on woman farmers? The Kathmandu Post, 16TH March, 2018.
- Shrestha G. Clement F., Drown P. (2018). Unacknowledged Irrigations. The Kathmandu Post, 8TH February, 2018.
- Suhardiman D. (2017). River basin planning: An imaginary bureaucratic territory. Blog. Sustainable Water Future Programme.
- Suhardiman D. (2019). Nepal and socially just hydropower. Asia Times, 22ndFebruary, 2019.
This questionnaire was designed to carry out a large scale basin-wide socio-economic survey as a part of Digo Jal Bikas (DJB) project.
- Digo Jal Bikas (Djb) Project: Context, Approach And Learnings
Authors: Luna Bharati, Vishnu Pandey, Sanita Dhaubanjar, Emma Karki
- Dealing With Variable Access To Water: An Assessment Of Challenges And Coping Strategies In Far-Western Nepal
Ram Bastakoti, Emma Karki, Bhesh Raj Thapa1, and Vishnu Prasad Pandey
- Western Nepal Environmental Flow Calculator (Wenefc)
Nishadi Eriyagama, Ram Devi Tachamo Shah, Akriti Sharma And Luna Bharati
- What Does The Future Climate Look Like In Western Nepal?
Sanita Dhaubanjar, Vishnu Prasad Pandey and Luna Bharati
- Hydro-Econimic Moeling of Water Use Trade-Offs in Western Nepal
Marc Jeuland and Emily Pakhtigian
- Environmental Flows for Balancing River Health and Aquatic Bioversity in the Himalaya
Ram Devi Tachamo Shah, Subodh Sharma and Luna Bharati
- Unpacking Local Communities’ Different Views On Hydropower Development
- Hydrological Model For Water Availability Assessment In The Karnali_Mohana Basin
Vishnu Pandey, Sanita Dhaubanjar, Luna Bharati And Bhesh Raj Thapa
- Improving Water Management Locally Through Inclusive And Integrated Approaches That Address Socio-Agro-Ecological Diversity
Emma Karki And Bhesh Raj Thapa, Iwmi Nepal
- Unravelling Gendered Practices In Nepal’s Public Water Sector In Nepal
Gitta Shrestha And Floriane Clement
- Gender, Social Capital And Collective Action: A Gender Perspective On Collective Sustainability Of Water Resource Governance In Far West Nepal
Gitta Shrestha And Floriane Clement